Re: [ARSCLIST] 78s relatively inexpensive? I disagree (was Victor film)

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

First of all, Greetings!
it was good to put faces to some of you in Cleveland

Mike Richter wrote (extract):

 Where the labels on the 78s and the
> green or brown heavy paper sleeves carried an effectively zero price even
> then, today's jewel case, tray card and insert are likely to cost more than
> the 50-60 cents of a CD.

----- I would disagree - labels were expensive. Not only did the paper have a
high heat tolerance, but the printing inks needed the same and colorfastness,
even though they were heated. One reason for the gold and silver pigments
seen on the earliest records. For this reason the companies kept labels in
store, and late pressings of less-demanded records would still carry early
labels. One may conclude that it was worth the administration to keep track
of a print run of labels rather than to print new ones.

Kind regards,

George