Re: [ARSCLIST] 16 2/3 RPM Music

Peter Hirsch writes:

> Does anyone out there have any firsthand knowledge of how extensively
16
> 2/3 rpm was used on 12" vinyl for music (as opposed to spoken word)?
I have
> in front of me 2 VOX XL series records, each of which contains 4 full
> length romantic concerti (one has liner notes claiming "1 hour 48
minutes
> 40 seconds of music").
>
> Any comments or info would be appreciated.

This page lists six releases in a Prestige series:

http://www.jazzdisco.org/prestige/16r-cat/

There were also some 7-inch classical discs issued in the fifties by a
label otherwise devoted to spoken word.  I have two examples (a
Beethoven Fifth and Dvorak "New World") but I can't locate them just
now to provide further information.  No orchestras or conductors are
named.

Russell