[ARSCLIST] audio cassettes' hardiness

Henry's, and others' accounts of these old things still playing are very
strong arguments in favor of my advocacy of 1/8" cassettes as analog
backups.
Those whose shells have deteriorated are easily transferred into new shells.

Of course the format's not as "hot" as 15 ips or 30 ips 1/4" or 1/2" full or
two track, but the idea of having a backup to digital tapes  & disks that
most likely will be playable X decades from now is a comforting, reassuring
thought.  Yes, it'd be wonderful if the date on a disk or tape or hard drive
containing a best possible resolution digital clone of a master be readable.
But if they were to have failed, wouldn't it be precious that at least, a
state of the art analog cassette could be played instead of highly
corrupted, drop out ridden or even worse, unplayable digital versions?

As the format nopw exists, recording in only one direction would be prudent.
But as per my original post, full track & two track would be preferable.
And, such special format cassettes would be substantially compatible with
conventional players.

Shiffy