Re: [ARSCLIST] audio cassettes' hardiness

----- Original Message -----
From: "Art Shifrin" <goldens2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Henry's, and others' accounts of these old things still playing are very
> strong arguments in favor of my advocacy of 1/8" cassettes as analog
> backups.
> Those whose shells have deteriorated are easily transferred into new
shells.

> Of course the format's not as "hot" as 15 ips or 30 ips 1/4" or 1/2" full
or
> two track, but the idea of having a backup to digital tapes  & disks that
> most likely will be playable X decades from now is a comforting,
reassuring
> thought.  Yes, it'd be wonderful if the date on a disk or tape or hard
drive
> containing a best possible resolution digital clone of a master be
readable.
> But if they were to have failed, wouldn't it be precious that at least, a
> state of the art analog cassette could be played instead of highly
> corrupted, drop out ridden or even worse, unplayable digital versions?
>
> As the format nopw exists, recording in only one direction would be
prudent.
> But as per my original post, full track & two track would be preferable.
> And, such special format cassettes would be substantially compatible with
> conventional players.
What I wonder is, though, how long cassette PLAYERS will continue to be
easily
available? Right now, there are enough cassettes around (and enough still
sold)
to justify the sale of cassette decks, and the inclusion (which can be
cheaply
done) of cassette players in cheaper "all format" (Tape/CD/sometimes LP's)
players. Like the 78 speed on record players, this may not be a permanent
situation!

The harsh reality is that we may have to find a machine which presses
shellac
discs and use that for archiving...I have shellac records over a century old
which exhibit no deterioration other than wear!