Re: [ARSCLIST] audio cassettes' hardiness

We recently completed a project in Scandinavia involving the playback of
over 1,800 standard audio cassettes.  These tapes had been stored in very
poor conditions and had suffered from poor handling.

Of the 1,800 tapes, 13% would not play back in as-is condition.  Of these
13%, 10% represented primarily mechanical problems that were easily (or not
so easily) fixed.  Of the 3% left over, all but 1/2 of 1% were restored
sufficiently for playback and the remaining tapes might have been restored
with additional effort (which the client chose to forego).

I'm not a great advocate of standard audio tapes for preservation purposes
but being able to play back all but 1/2 of 1% after 20 plus years of abuse
is a pretty good track record.

Peter Brothers