Re: [ARSCLIST] Paid Discographers?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Forman" <fforman1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> An article in the Fall newsletter, "Victor Project Moves to UCSB," said
> the library "will be hiring a discographer and support staff to continue
> the editorial project and begin planning for publication of future volumes
> and an online database of the recordings."
>
> I did not realize that there was a single paid discography in the galaxy.
> (I exclude catalogers of sound recordings at the Library of Congress and
> other places.) I thought we were all amateurs, however excellent some of
> us are!
>
> Are there any other paid discographers?

Indirectly, yes! From Brian Rust on down the roster, discographers who have
been able to publish (or self-publish) their works receive any profits or
royalties due for their sale.

As well, there are many discographers who are either in the employ of
institutions or financed through grants and similar remuneration; while
the former are not actually employed full-time as discographers, in many
cases their employment duties are compatible, and may even include,
discographic research and document compilation as a "side effect."

However, note that it is seldom if ever possible to qualify the adjective
"paid" with the modifier "well-!" In 24 years of having authored "The
(Almost) Complete 78rpm Record Dating Guide," I doubt if my total income
therefrom would average out to $100/year...and that's in Canadian money!

As well, in 30 years of collecting and researching 78's, I have yet to see
a want ad or sign reading "Discographer Wanted, Enquire Within for Terms!"
Had I seen one, I would have been there before the ink on the notice was
dry!
The closest I ever came was when the Music Librarian at the National Library
of Canada (whom I knew well, and had worked with on a number of projects)
was
retiring...I asked and was told I'd need at least a M.A. in Library Science
to be eligible (no mention of any discograhic qualifications!)
Steven C. Barr
(who is about as close to being a "paid" blues musician, after I subtract
expenses from income...)