Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio Conservation Engineer standards

In a message dated 10/28/03 9:09:43 PM, LISTSERV@xxxxxxx writes:

<< What do we call it? Audio Conservation Engineer? Sound Conservator? More
importantly, what are the skills required for the job? Clearly, it's more
than just knowing how to thread tape onto an Otari and dub to a CD recorder.

It might be worth seeing what is happening at NARAS -- the (American)
National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.  While mostly known as the folks who
put on the Grammy Awards, there is a section of the organization involved in
establishing archival methodologies and standards for recording engineers and
the recording industry.  I beleive they are involved in the Arhoolie/UCLA and
other worthwhile conservation and restoration projects.

Dave Radlauer
www.JAZZHOT.Bigstep.com