Re: [ARSCLIST] environment controls

See the brand new NIST report on storage and handling of optical discs.  I'm home and can't give you a citation, but it was posted today, either to ARSC or MLA- I forget which.  I'm about halfway through it, distracted by the World Series, but it looks pretty, you should pardon the _expression_, sound- better than the Bogart one for tape.  After the new document has circulated a bit, I expect there will be a number of comments which will appear on this site.

Steve Smolian
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 5:28 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] environment controls

Has anyone been involved in setting up a temperature/humidity-controlled environment for storing audiocassettes and CDs?

I am trying to set up an audio archive in a relatively underfunded and poorly housed program. In this theoretical archive, we will have roughly 5000 CDs, a few hundred cassette tapes, VHS videotapes, digital video tapes...and MAYbe reel-to-reels. We've got a basement facility with cinderblock walls, standard ac/heat and exposed pipes.

I know I'm going to have to find grants or sell my internal organs to get a decently housed archive going, so I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Wiha

Do you Yahoo!?