Re: [ARSCLIST] environment controls

Holly Dzyban wrote:

> Has anyone been involved in setting up a
> temperature/humidity-controlled environment for storing audiocassettes
> and CDs?
>
> I am trying to set up an audio archive in a relatively underfunded and
> poorly housed program. In this theoretical archive, we will have
> roughly 5000 CDs, a few hundred cassette tapes, VHS videotapes,
> digital video tapes...and MAYbe reel-to-reels. We've got a basement
> facility with cinderblock walls, standard ac/heat and exposed pipes.
>
> I know I'm going to have to find grants or sell my internal organs
> to get a decently housed archive going, so I'd like to know what I'm
> getting myself into.
>
> Wiha

Slightly cool and slightly dry should do it. 41-77 degrees F and 20-50%
RH is acceptable. 50 degrees F would be optimum. Avoid sudden changes.

You may need a dehumidifier for certain times of the year. Buy a good
measuring instrument to find out. Cheap, hardware store humidity gauges
are worthless.

Initial, as-recorded quality is more important than a precise
temperature and humidity condition. Regular retensioning of the tapes is
important. Every three months would be desirable.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.
http://www.mscience.com/