Re: [ARSCLIST] audio workstation help

Wait a minute here...most systems should support this; from what I hear
you saying, it seems to me what you're trying to do is basically the
same as doing a multitrack recording: you're monitoring the playback
while laying down another track(s). Of course, in this case, you're
playing back your "flat" audio, and then re-recording two[?] new tracks
of audio, which just happen to be modifications of the ones your
computer is playing. This should be no problem with any software that
supports multi-track recording. Whether you can keep this in the
digital domain entirely has to do with whether you have a digital
in/out on your computer, and a digital i/o on your external processing
gear.

I don't use Sound Forge, but I agree with the first suggestion (when
all else fails read the manual, if that fails [or if you don't have a
manual] call the manufacturer): "Does your software support multitrack
recording?". If the manufacturer says "Yes", you're just going to have
to find that one irritating preference/setting that is causing the
problem...often, they can tell you what setting you have to change.

=
General remark:

...I am so saddened that Sound Engineers are becoming less and less in
demand in this world...ah yes, the lowly telephone
sanitizer...seriously though, how come every single serious
establishment that is now doing audio preservation work doesn't employ
an experienced audio engineers to entrust with their precious
collections? One would think that an experienced engineer would be of
utmost importance - a necessary precaution necessitating the expense?
There are a huge number of the most experienced sound engineers in the
business crawling out of every woodwork everywhere these days, and I'm
telling you for some steady employment, they would be very affordable.
And let me tell you: I can name names...show resumes that would boggle
your mind...for those of you who have recently opened positions for
engineers, I know you know what sort of calibre I'm talking about,
because you've seen the resumes.

There are cases I know of, of important one of a kind material being
transferred by people with no audio experience - for someone [myself]
with 18 years experience, and who would find it an honour at this point
in my career to be entrusted with such an important collection, it
boggles my mind, and makes me cringe all at the same time...

Best,

Alyssa
_________

"Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really
knows where his towel is."