Re: [ARSCLIST] Pitching and Equalization of 78s/Resampling questions.

On 28/08/03, Goran Finnberg wrote:

> You´ve gone from 16 bits to 8 bits quantization.
>
> But the sampling frequency is unchanged in your example.
>
>> However unless I am radically mistaken this
>> down-sampling did not shorten (or extend )the sample from a time
>> perspective.
>
> Right, since you´ve changed the bit depth and the sampling rate is
> totally unchanged.
>
> You´re mixing two totally different concepts, sampling frequency with
> the number of bits used to describe the samples.

Draw a waveform on squared graph paper. The vertical lines are the
sample rate (the closer together, the higher the rate). The horizontal
lines are the bit depth (the closer together, the more bits).

Sampling (A->D conversion) is replacing the continuous waveform
line with a set of dots which can only be at the points where the lines cross.
Few will be in exactly the right place, but the closer together the
lines are, the less the error.

Regards
--
Don Cox