Re: [ARSCLIST] Pitching and Equalization of 78s

At 07:35 PM 8/28/2003 +0200, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

----- note that Mike stopped reading here, reaching for his gun:

I did not stop there. I read the article in its entirety and chose not to comment on what followed.

----- now, if he had read on, then the following text would have appeared
before his eyes:

For this reason I have proposed to IASA that we recommend that any pitching
is made on a secondary carrier obtained by a first transfer. Now, in the old
days, a cassette was ideal for this, because you would not use tonal
fidelity, only pitch fidelity as the goal. [there was more, and specific
advice, but no reason to quote further]

----- Mike, all you had to do was to say "I agree!"

Except that I do not. That "secondary carrier" is an interesting device with which I am completely unfamiliar. You seem to suggest a single capture used both for determining proper pitch and obtaining some sort of master. Presumably, that master would be some idealized analogue format. I do not capture in analogue - in fact, my primary open-reel deck does not record at all. I know of no way to obtain a secondary digital signal which would not require resampling after the proper pitch was determined; or a secondary analogue signal which would be considered preferably to the primary one.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/