Re: [ARSCLIST] Pitching and Equalization of 78s

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

> >----- Mike, all you had to do was to say "I agree!"
>
> Except that I do not.

----- Mike, you seem to describe that you do a first transfer to a modern,
digital medium, in which you can in a simple way change speed of reproduction
proportional to change in pitch (e.g. simulating a change of speed of
reproduction of an analogue medium). Once you have determined the desired
speed of the original analogue carrier, you transfer that again, for good,
with an adjustment according to your experiments on the first digital copy.
In your own words, you are able to work with just two transfers and two
occasions for wear of the original.

To this I can say, I totally agree, I have done precisely that (since 1980),
but using an analogue cassette for the first transfer. I have still to see a
digital system that will do the same as quickly (the turn of a knob) as an
analogue reproducer. So I do think you agree after all. But how do you select
your stylii? (a completely different can of worms).

BUT, do remember that Jon's original query was:

>My present view (subject to being changed with a persuasive
>argument) is that pitching should not be a worry during the transfer
>itself (just get it close.) Once digitized, during the restoration
>process the recording can be pitched digitally using sound processing
>software (effectively by resampling).

----- I agree with this viewpoint - the dynamic range problem is greater than
the speed problem. Jon's worry is digitization for storage, not necessarily
for final use.

----- Oh, please note that I misprinted 1990 for the Bogensee IASA
Conference. There is ample documentation that it was in 1994. Thanks to Lars
Gaustad for pointing this out.

Kind regards,

George