Re: [ARSCLIST] Bolero by Ravel the definitive version?

On 07/08/03, Mike Richter wrote:

> One reason I"m reluctant to wade in with a recommendation is that it
> is a work which benefits from modern sound quality but I know of no
> DDD recording which serves it well.

Fortunately ADD recordings are often as good as or better than DDD. The
choice and placement of microphones, and the judgement of a conductor in
balancing the orchestra, make more difference than whether the master
was on a digital or analog medium.

A recent digital recording made on professional quality equipment may be
very good, but other digital recordings are made on substandard
equipment (such as cheap computer sound cards) or early 16-bit
equipment, and can have unpleasant distortions.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx