Re: [ARSCLIST] More on "Bolero"

> From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
> [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Mike Richter
>
> I passed along the response here to my source, who replied:
>
> >Only part of the answer, I believe.
> >
> >The Boléro, publsihed as being conducted by the composer, was allegedly
> >directed by the the Portuguese conductor Pedro de Freitas Branco.
> >
> >I rather doubt that, in 1930, Ravel would be in condition to conduct
> >anything at all. His brain dysfunction, reason for the operation during
> >which he died, would prevent him from keeping time. Give
> instructions to a
> >conductor he certainly could, but I rather doubt the he could
> actually wield
> >the baton.
>
> We are far from my area of expertise and I will not re-enter the fray.

Mike, thanks for sharing this.  I can't speak to the medical issues, but
there is newsreel footage of Ravel conducting the first French performance
of the "left-hand" piano concerto, with Paul Wittgenstein as soloist, early
in 1933.  So his conducting in 1930 is not ruled out.

In the case of Bolero, absent documentary evidence I assume that your source
has confused this with the 1932 recording of the G major piano concerto,
with Marguerite Long as soloist, for Columbia.  Here it is clearly
established that Freitas Branco is the actual conductor of this recording,
published as conducted by Ravel.

Russell