Re: [ARSCLIST] Thinner CD-R cases?; Archiving Temperatures?; CD-R Case Labelling?

On 05/08/03, Mike Richter wrote:

> 1. The slimline cases are not a great idea for longterm storage. The
> issue is not outgassing or flimsiness per se, but they allow far more
> exposure to ambient air (i.e., dust, chemicals) than do the heavy-duty
> ones. Another matter you should check is that the slimlines you pick
> do support by the hub and ensure that the case and recorded area of
> the disc do not touch in usual positions. One other factor -
> surprisingly important in some situations - is that the spine is very
> hard to mark; if your point 3 is significant now, wait until you try
> slimline.

An alternative to consider would be the 2-CD cases. These take up
the same shelf space as the slimlines but the spine would be easier to
mark.

They do vary greatly in quality - in some, the teeth that hold the disc
break very easily. The slimlines I have used appear to be made of a
better quality plastic.

Regards
--
Don Cox