Re: [ARSCLIST] Thinner CD-R cases?; Archiving Temperatures?; CD-R Case Labelling?

Some thin jewel cases work well. Others tend to release the disc or a
gap may open along the edge. Tyvek sleeves are usually particulate free,
but the disc is in contact with the sleeve. Full jewel cases are
prefereble.

Longevity is not a go-no go matter. Manufacturers recommend 5 C to 25 C
(41 F to 77 F) at 20% to 50% RH. 10 C (50 F) is optimum for discs and
tape. Elevated temperatures and high humidity always accelerate the
ageing process. How much is determined by media quality and by the
quality of the recording drive. Tapes are probably more sensitive than
CD discs.

Stick-on labels can be very risky for long term storage unless they are
thoroughly tested first. Adhesives can degrade the information layer, or
the entire label can shrink/expand, and thus stress or even delaminate
the disc. Better to write on the clear inner ring using a soft tip
marker with water based ink.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.