Re: [ARSCLIST] Thinner CD-R cases?; Archiving Temperatures?; CD-R Case Labelling?

At 02:52 PM 8/5/2003 +0200, Robert Brian Levy wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am writing with a few more questions about our archiving work in Okahoma:

1.  Do you guys have any specific advice about the possibility of using
the new super thin cases for storing CDs?
As we see it the plus would be that they are thinner, so we can probably
store about twice as many in the same space.
The minus might be any off-gassing, as well as that they may be a bit flimsy.

If you are aware of any specific brand of thinner CD-R cases, and where we
could purchase them, would you please also let us know?

Or should we just stick with the thicker, harder regular jewel cases?

Alternatively, what about archiving CD-R's in Tyvex sleeves?

2. What do you all think is the risk involved in allowing the temperature to fluctuate in our office where we are storing many of our archival digital and analog recodings between 66 degrees (low winter temp) and 80 degrees (high summer temperature)? The cooling costs are exhorbitant and I'm assuming that the old analogue tapes and the new CD materials (as well as the computer equipment) are not too adversely effected by the temperature changes. Is that true, given this range of about 66-80 degrees Fahrenheit?

3.  Do you have any specific suggestion for labels on jewel cases?
What we are using now don't seem to stay stuck very well...

Thank you once again for any and all advice and suggestions.

I am *not* an expert in archival storage, but some of the following may help.

1. The slimline cases are not a great idea for longterm storage. The issue
is not outgassing or flimsiness per se, but they allow far more exposure to
ambient air (i.e., dust, chemicals) than do the heavy-duty ones. Another
matter you should check is that the slimlines you pick do support by the
hub and ensure that the case and recorded area of the disc do not touch in
usual positions. One other factor - surprisingly important in some
situations - is that the spine is very hard to mark; if your point 3 is
significant now, wait until you try slimline.

2. The specifications on CD-R media suggest that that temperature range is
fine.

3.  I've had excellent resuls with Avery Correction Tape. I usually use
CR16 (one-sixth inch) and write with a Sanford Sharpie Ultra Fine. (The 2/6
tape can be used if applied very carefully. I'm clumsy, so I seldom do.)

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/