Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio

Actually, many of them appeared as 78s, 45s, LPs, cassettes, etc., and I've
been assembling a collection of them.  I'm presently at over 7,000 items, so
far with half listed in a spread sheet.

Example: Our local high school issued an Audio Yearbook in 1962.  A number
of my pals are included as is a clip from the earliest recording of one of
the rock bands spawned by this class.  I still go to hear the band reunions.

I think I've tracked the "Firestone Christmas Record" annual phenomenon to
Goodyear Tires, Columbia SA which issue predates any of the US ones.

There's a variety of carillon music put out by the major bank in many large
towns and small cities.  Banks used to have carillons the way churches have
bells.

At least one appliance manufacturer had a paper 33 with verbal instructions
attached to its new washing machines.  I kept the record but, in this case,
have not been seeking the rest of the package.

A whole bunch of people issued records to aid hunters- duck calling, etc.  I
have one group where I think you plugged the record player into your pickup
lighter socket and played the appropriate call while sitting in your blind
at the ready.

There have been many oral history LPs related to various events and causes.
I understand that for the 100th anniversary of the US Red Cross is now on
CD.

Many schools and summer camps issued LPs of their camp songs, reviews,
Broadway musicals with less-than-famous casts, etc.

Though there may be doubts about the technical proficiency of the performers
and technicians, this group nonetheless serves as an audio time machine to
cultural and social activities and attitudes which, though they seem
unimportant when made, take on considerable interest with the passage of
time.

etc.

Of course, I'm not sure where I'd draw the line if offered the entire
archive of a busy karaoke bar.

Steve Smolian .