Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio

I can say from a commercial music business perspective that almost
every rock band
in the world has their album mastered to analog 1/2 or 1 inch tape.
Virtually all the existing Ampex ATR-100 series machines are being
restored and sold to high-end mastering and recording studios around
the world. I think it is quite likely that the "analog niche" in pro
recording will not disappear in the foreseeable future and that this
cottage industry would easily sustain a small business that was
dedicated to producing a small batch high quality product. The
mastering lathe will survive for the same reason and I for one am
thrilled that this is so. People have been predicting the demise of
analog for nearly twenty years and the fact it is still being predicted
seems to make the proponents of digital seem incrementally less
oracular with each passing year.

aa