Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio

prabhupada.com wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I'm sure this topic has been talked (flogged) about before...however
> I'm relatively new to the list so go ahead and hit the delete button!
> My question is...Which audio formats are being used for Long
> term/preservation/archival. And which is the most
> desirable/recommended?
>
> I have seen from reel to reel 1/4 tape to CDR, DVD, vinyl, MP3, DAT,
> etc
>
> I would like to know your expert thoughts and why?
>
> I thank you all for your time in this regard
>
> Paul Tombleson
> Director of Preservation
> Bhaktivedanta Archives

I am not familiar with all formats, but CD-R, DVD, and DAT haved the
advantage of strong error correction algorithms built into the formats
provided that information is recorded as files. CD-R and DVD are also
desirable because the drive head is not in contact with the media during
operation.

J. Hartke
Media Sciences, Inc.