Re: [ARSCLIST] CD question

At 08:07 AM 6/21/2003 -0500, joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Mike,

Your comments and those by Joe Iraci lead me to believe that the optimum
burn speed would be 8-12X. Is this supported by test findings?

I can't tell you what the optimum would be for you. Why not run some tests? You cannot easily make definitive ones such as those done by Media Sciences; you cannot even run BLER tests with common hardware. But you can count recoverable errors with CDR/DVD Diagnostic or another such program and you can examine readability in cantankerous drives if you have them.

I have two older readers which insist on gold/green media or they simply
will not read the disc reliably. (Toshiba drives for laptops behaved that
way at least until the last few years.) Those blanks are all but impossible
to find now; fortunately, my small store of Kodak discs from that era has
not decayed or been depleted. However, writers for those discs are a
problem and I was delighted (and surprised) to find that a DVD-R drive that
I bought to learn the new medium writes those discs better than it does
modern high-speed CD blanks. Truth to tell, I bought it for a song from a
friend who needed his DVD-R to write CD-R reliably and found that this one
would not - using modern media.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/