Re: [ARSCLIST] CD cleaning help

At 09:43 AM 6/17/2003 -0500, Esther Gillie wrote:
Dear Collective Wisdom;

We just discovered a CD set in our library that has some sort of white film
on the play side of the disk.  I thought at first it was some sort of mold,
and the usual cleaning procedures (water, soft rag, mild detergent) do
clean off the worst of it, but not all of it.  It doesn't seem to have
eaten into the plastic. I have more experience dealing with instantaneous
disks or reel to reel tape. Is this a common thing, and what do you
recommend? Thank you for your assistance.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but if at all possible you should copy the discs immediately.

There are various sources possible for the film and it may be gluey,
powdery or simply an altered state of the polycarbonate. Regardless, I
would immediately capture what I could from the discs. If they do not
readily copy digitally, then duplicate via analogue, but save the
information first, diagnose and treat the cause second.

As I say, the recommendation is an obvious one and I apologize for
offending people with its simplicity.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/