Re: [ARSCLIST] ELBERG MD12

On 08/06/03, Steven Smolian wrote:
> With lateral mono records, the purpose of the vertical switch and
> balance control is to null out the signals, thus assuring that when
> they are switched to lateral, they will be in balance.
>
> I feel strongly that this tool is so essential to all 78 preamps of
> modern manufacure that it should be included in the basic
> configuration, not as an option.

Probably true.

However, it is easier to listen to 78s in stereo than in mono, because
the noise is then spread across the space between the speakers, while
the music is centred.

That makes it easier for the brain to ignore the noise than when they
both appear to come from the same place.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx