Re: [ARSCLIST] shellac and acidity

I must agree with Kurt & Steve and add an additional perspective .....

The chemistry of lacquer & acetate media make them susceptible to
degradation when exposed to a moist environment containing trace amounts of
acids.  Shellac media on the other hand require a greater concentration of
acid in order to suffer the same degree of damage.

It stands to reason that shellac, acetate & lacquer recordings should never
be stored in contact with old sleeves or with anything other than sleeves
constructed of acid-free paper or other neutral materials.  Just as there
is no documented justification for using rice paper sleeves for vinyl
pressings nor is there for the cost of "archival" paper sleeves when
sleeves can readily be constructed from acid-free (buffered) text paper.

Regards,

Duane Goldman