Re: [ARSCLIST] shellac and acidity

I have inspected hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of records over
the last 20 years.

I cannot identify a single instance where shellac was negatively affected
by acid content in sleeves.

Off-gassing by inks, yes. Mold growth and/or graininess from dampness in
the paper, yes. Brittle sleeves crumbling to dust, yes. Acid damage to
records, no.

In fact, I haven't even seen what I would call acid damage to record
labels. (With the possible exception of labels on certain instantaneous
discs.)

In my experience, vintage disc recordings seem to be impervious to the
effects of acid contained within paper. In fact, I have very often
witnessed the situation that Alain Carou describes: sleeves or newspaper
used to separate records can be totally disintegrated around the edges, but
the paper pressed between the records is intact and much less brittle. Not
only does the paper protect the discs, the records protect the paper - a
symbiotic relationship, it would seem!

This is why - in my opinion - spending 3-4 times as much for acid-free
sleeves is a waste of archival funds, and why I decided not to sell
Disc-O-Files made from acid-free stock. If a record can survive unscathed
for 70 years in a cheap paper sleeve in a barn, attic or basement, then
that same record will do just fine in a new, not completely acid-free
sleeve on a shelf in an archive or music room.

In my opinion, the real problem with old sleeves is two-fold:

1)  Dirt and mold (which is why we do not store clean records in old sleeves).
2)  Paper porosity. Sleeves with high rag content (am I using this term
correctly?) will trap moisture, and moisture is definitely detrimental to
shellac. The old green stock sleeves are good examples of this. Stored
indoors in a dry environment, no problem. But left exposed to high
humidity, porous sleeves tend to hold water, causing mildew and graininess.

I am open to opposing opinions, and invite comment.

Kurt & Diane Nauck

c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
22004 Sherrod Ln.
Spring, TX  77389