Re: [ARSCLIST] Sony PR-150 squeal

Hi, Marie,

Wow--you're on the cutting edge of new treatments--yes, I'd like to see
some pictures when you get the chance.

The drip sounds interesting and the isopropyl is what I use for cleaning
everything, anyway.

Thanks!

Richard

At 08:49 AM 5/12/2003 -0500, Marie O'Connell wrote:
Hi Richard -

I've generally had great success with baking a tape for at least 12 hours at
50c but failing that I have resorted to using isopropyl alcohol as a
lubricant.  In my early days I would sit with 2 cotton tipped sticks dipped
in "iso" but this was time consuming plus hazardous to health and so you
would need to wear the appropiate face masks.  Also you needed to have an
extremely steady hand.  Hence, I came up with my isopropyl drip bag and a
suitably adapted Otari (Mark I version) and later Studer (Mark II version)
which would drip the iso at 6 droplets per minute for almost trouble free,
hands off reproduction.  Worked good for me!

If you would like to see some photos feel free to email me.

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist
Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage
University of Southern Mississippi
P.O.Box 5175
Hattiesburg
MS, 39401-9406