Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R hub labels...

At 05:33 PM 5/7/2003 -0400, Anthony Bozzanca wrote:

That's what I heard about putting labels in the disc as well. What's the
general consensus about using a fine point sharpie marker to write on the
CD's to label them?

1. Please kill the HTML in your posts. The list will take it, but the result overrides the recipient's settings and can be very hard to read.

2. Especially if you choose to top post, please trim the irrelevant parts
of the previous posts on the thread. That's more nearly natural if you
bottom-post.

3. Sharpie uses a solvent for its ink and even Sanford recommends against
it on CD. They and others offer water-based inks which are relatively
benign on the acrylic lacquer upper surface of an uncoated disc. If you use
a coated disc, the manufacturer may claim and you may believe that it is
safe with solvents such as those in the Sharpie. I tend to believe them,
but I am not concerned about archival preservation on CD-R.

4. I have been taught by Jerry: the safe way to write on the disc is to use
only the clear, central area. At Media Sciences, he can measure errors
introduced by writing in the working space, so it makes sense to leave that
for the laser, not the pen.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/