Re: [ARSCLIST] Cleaning Up Bad CDs

At 09:09 PM 4/30/2003 -0400, Frank Forman wrote:
Is there a consensus on this group about how to clean up bad CDs? I, like
most of us, have a few that don't track properly. What should one do, and,
more importantly, what should one avoid doing?

There are many sorts of CDs, many ways each can go bad, and many ways to attempt to clean for each. I think consensus is too much to ask unless you can specify:

Audio CD, data CD-ROM or special format (e.g., VCD)?
Pressed, write-once or erasable disc?
Faulty in what way?
Is a specific disc persistently faulty - i.e., over multiple attempts, in
multiple players?
Is the disc a sole example or a member of a class with similar problems?

Depending on the answers to the above, the suggestion may be buy a
replacement, clean that one disc in a specific way, or immediately back up
every disc to two others.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/