Re: [ARSCLIST] Backing up to HD in some kind of [relatively] reliable fashion?

Hard disks are rated with a MTBF (mean time between failure) which is
typically around 300,000 hours. However, these are projections and don't
predict when individual drives will fail. Unless you are using a RAID
system with hot-swappable drives and have a tape backup system and an IT
department that can manage these systems, I wouldn't rely on hard disks as
a sole or primary method of archiving anything.

There is an explanation of MTBF at
http://www.hardwaregroup.com/faq/gen_mtbf.htm

David