Re: [ARSCLIST] Heavily distorted signal

At 06:10 AM 4/17/2003 +0200, Joav Shdema wrote:
I never had any success with plugs and software that de-clip. Clipping and
many forms of distortion are inherent in the sound wave form. There is no
way to estimate the wave and fix it if it's not there somewhere. A clipped
wave must have table top clipped crests that no software I have tried to
date could fix. Some of the plugs clean harmonics others just round and
rolled off  the top end (much like car radio handle weak transmission) but
none do it in an elegant way.

I would say there is no cure. Distorted recording could be made to sound a
little better by several methods but could not be fixed.

Clearly, others have had different results. Among the factors may be differences in sources, in tools and in objective. For example, in the case at hand, the objective appears to be enhancing audibility of speech, which is quite different from recovering high-quality audio.

At times, it is not necessary to "cure" but only to regain functionality.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/