Re: [ARSCLIST] Heavily distorted signal

At 10:04 PM 4/16/2003 +0000, you wrote:
On 16/04/03, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> Some audio workstation software has a de-clipping option. I've had
> very limited success with it. There are lots of adjustments.

Is there any reason to suppose that clipping is the problem? It is an
analogue tape, not a digital recording.

It may well be a combination of poor quality microphone and cheap tape
recorder.

That's certainly an option, but most distortion I have heard has been generated by overloads. I realize it's not digital clipping, but there is some application of the Samplitude and other algorithms mentioned to analog signals.

If it's distortion at normal levels, without overload, then certainly only
the EQ and compression suggestions would work.

As I said, I had assumed an overload condition as that is what my
experience tells me is the major (but not only) cause for distortion. Of
course, this overload can occur at different levels for different machines.

Cheers,

Richard