Re: [ARSCLIST] MLS in relation to an archivist

Michael,

The MLS is very important.  However, I would stress the greater importance
of programs that offer an MLS with an archival focus or archival
certification rather than just a straight MLS degree.  And I would like to
reiterate the extreme importance of a program with ALA accreditation.
There are programs in "Archival Science" or "Archival Management" but I
don't know anyone who went through one.  I might be worth your while to
look at programs that have (depending on your interests) a music
librarianship component if you're interested in published recordings or one
that has opportunities for work with field audio.

I'm somewhat biased as an alum, but at the School of Information and
Library Science at Indiana University you can follow a special
collections/archival track, take courses in music librarianship, have
access to all their "Information Science" classes that focus on digital
applications and (best of all to me as an eternal student in the Dept. of
Folklore and Ethnomusicology) get a dual MLS/Folklore-Ethnomusicology MA.
The dual degree was instituted after I wrapped up all my work so I can't
say much about it as far as coursework practicalities, but it was created
at least in part with the idea of training archivists to work with
ethnographic field materials, of which audio forms a large part.  IU also
houses the Archives of Traditional Music, which is a great place to augment
one's training via an internship or some such thing.

That said, while I was an MLS student at IU, the library school had a real
focus on the whole get-rich-quick-dot.com-boom-informaiton-science-glitz
thing, and the MLS end really suffered for it.  They are apparently getting
a new dean soon, so that might change, but I just don't know.  However, if
you're interested in exploring music librarianship and
folklore-ethnomusicology as a way to add something to archival training, IU
has a lot of opportunities.

Andy (the biased Archivist/Folklorist)

At 11:07 PM 3/24/03 -0500, you wrote:
>After lurking for about six months, this is my first post to the Arsclist.
>Obviously since this is a mailing list for archivists, this question I have
>is completely appropriate for many of you to answer.
>
>I wanted to know what role a Master's Degree in Library Science plays in
>finding employment as an archivist.  What I am looking for is an archivist
>position at a college or university.  I have the basic audio engineering
>skills one would find desirable in a candidate for an archivist position but
>no library skills.  Would pursuing a MLS degree be worth my time or is there
>a better way to acquire these skills to become an archivist?
>
>At this time I have no desire to become strictly a librarian, although it is
>possible that if/when I complete a MLS degree that my opinion might change.
>Any comments would be welcome and appreciated.
>
>Michael Farrington
>
>Michael Farrington
>Recording Engineer
>Eastman School of Music