Re: [ARSCLIST] MLS in relation to an archivist

    I was looking into this exact sort of thing about a year ago, and
probably will again in a few years. Catholic University in Washington DC
is worth looking at. Their MLS program is one of the few that hasn't
shifted to a more of a corporate or information science focus. They have
a lot of courses in archival practice and theory and one can focus on
"Special Collections" (including recorded sound) archiving and curating.
I don't have a web address handy, but they should be easy to find. Good
luck!

James

>>> bburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 03/25/03 02:43AM >>>
Michael,

You will need formal training as an archivist in order to hold the kind
of
position you desire. I left a job running the Richard F. Wright Jazz
Archive at
the University of Kansas to get that fancy piece of paper because, to
be
perfectly honest, you need documentation of formal training in order to
get
paid. An ALA accredited program will give you training in hypertext
encoding,
creating findings aids and preservation. These are very important and
absolutely necessary skills if you plan on maintaining a sound
collection in a
responsible manner. You might want to check the employment posts on the
Society
of American Archicists website [www.archivists.org]. Nearly every post
details
the skills required.