Re: [ARSCLIST] DC Offset: What is it and Why?

Friends:

I am doing a compilation of "garage salsa" groups of the 60's and 70's.
I bought a CEDAResque program called Raygun that I  used in a few other
instances in the past to clean up some of these recordings, which range
from the truly superb to the fairly atrocious.

Rather than going back to the same room and pay the going rate I've
decided to learn it myself. One of the features Raygun offers is
DC Offset. The tutorial was extremely vague around the details of the
science that surrounded DC Offset itself.

The gist was that in the process of the A to D conversion certain
artifacts can be introduced which degrade the audio quality. Okay,
fine. But how is it degraded, what suffers, what should I listen for? I
do not want to put the data-stream through yet another algorithm if it
is not going to audibly improve the final result.

Using Occam's Law as both an aesthetic and technical
maxim has worked for me thus far, can anyone better versed than I shed
some light on this little-known phenomenon?

Aaron Luis Levinson