Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging, Collecting, Copyright, and Conversion

| YOU  ARE ANNOYING A LOT OF PEOPLE.
|
| MOST OF US DON'T NEED OR WANT YOUR ASSISTANCE.

Unfortunately attacking people will only reduce communication among ARSC members, not enhance it.

This is supposed to be a discussion list for all members, not just for audio engineers...the point Frank was making. I have often wondered why ARSC does not have more members, when there are over 2700 major audio collections in this country. According to a report in Billboard some years ago, there are over 1 Million collectors. Have they all been pushed away by our arrogance?

A suggestion for getting a discussion going, if one is interested, would be to simply state the topic and give a link to the article, rather than the whole article, which by the way, might constitute copyright violations in that it is tantamount to re-publication if done without permission.

I'm annoyed at the idea, that, while people don't have time to read other's ideas, they pontificate regarding their own knowledge.  Yet we as a body of ARSC still do little in helping people find recordings they are needing.  Most of that is left up to people in music libraries (even if it's spoken records one is looking for,) when in fact this body could probably do this as well if not better, but people and music and public librarians are often unaware of the existence of ARSC.  ARSC may have been around since 1966, but many new librarians have not, nor have they been very successful in finding ARSC using search engines, unless they know our complete name.

Yes, the ARSC Journal is the most cited reference Journal in recorded sound research.  For that we should be most proud. But I'm not proud of the membership that finds ways to put dismiss others as peripheral to themselves and their work.

Paul T. Jackson - Trescott Research
Information & Library Development
trescott@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.bookbay.com/PioneersInBrass.htm