Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Registry

And yet another response to old mail.....

Quite the contrary, greater musical content could have been preserved
through a second generation analog copy made at the same time as the
digital copy.  The resulting metal parts & pressings will last well past
any CD/DVD/SACD technology currently available & serve a much truer source
than the stored digital information.

I'll take issue with the statement that the metal parts and pressings will last well past any CD/DVD/SACD technology currently available. I'd like to see the research you have (or have read) which supports that statement. Otherwise, I'll have to take it as pure conjecture.

As for the part about serving as a much truer source than the stored
digital information.....  Well, that's certainly more subjective than the
above comment, but it's been debated by greater ears and minds than mine,
so I'll let that go.  The analog vs digital debate has some arguments on
BOTH sides that are incredibly full of insight. That same debate also has
some arguments which are purely emotional and not worth getting involved in.

For the time being I feel I've exhausted the remarks I should make in this
forum on the digital vs. analog debate & will let matters rest.  Thanks
for permitting me to air my opinions.

Thank you for the great insight you have presented on the topic, both in the things we agree on and the things I happen to have disagreed with you on. It is appreciated.

Diamond Productions
Specializing in analog tape preservation / restoration in the digital domain.
Dave Bradley   President