Re: [ARSCLIST] Wool Microphone?

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

> OK all you groovy cats...What is a wool microphone?
....... And at
> times he mentions the wool becoming wet, and having to change
mics.

----- I wrote the entry on Paul ..... Voigt in Routledge's Biographical
Dictionary of the History of Technology, but I can't get at my notes
now. However, wool is a good support for a diaphragm for an
electrostatic microphone - when dry it is an insulator, and you
obtain more possibilities of clamping (and avoiding clamping) when
at least part of the mass and tension of the diaphragm may be
partly supported by e.g. wool. When too moist, the current drain on
the power supply would lower the polarisation voltage too much.

> "Wax OK but cut cold. The left side of my oven is colder than the rest
> this morning."

----- wax creates a noisy cut when too cold - if that happens only
on half a wax, then you would have a swishing background noise.

> "Bucharest, 21 Sept., 1928: Room Draping @ Sides + two carpets
> covering 1/3rd floor space. Room Still too Resonant."

----- Voigt worked for Edison-Bell who recorded electrically in many
places of Europe.

It is nice to see that you have come across notes on other matters
than cosmology!

Kind regards,

George