Re: [ARSCLIST] Dry tape squeal problem

George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> Silicone oil is not something that you would generally like to have
> soaked into your artefacts,

It´s the same with the replay tape recorder.

A studer A820 or an Ampex ATR 102 is certainly not that I´d be willing
to use to replay a silicone oil soaked tape.

The Studer A820 cost new in 1998 $25000 + VAT and spares are not exactly
cheap.

> because it is so difficult to get rid of if you need to.

Absolutely correct.

So getting this stuff on a costly tape machine is something to be
avoided at all cost.

--
Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther