Re: [ARSCLIST] Dry tape squeal problem

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Silicone oil is not something that you would generally like to have
soaked into your artefacts, because it is so difficult to get rid of if
you need to. Obviously as regards tape it all depends on whether
you think that you will ever want to play the tape again. Apart from
dry squealing on very smooth surfaces the tape may be perfectly
o.k. as an analogue signal carrier. A highly polished tape and a
highly polished (mirror) metal surface is the worst combination.
Unfortunately, intimate contact between the tone-head and tape
usually ensures good high frequency performance (provided
azimuth is corrected), so this is the area that one must
concentrate on. For this reason I try to relieve other surfaces as
much as possible by using teflon inserts (no stick-slip) or slightly
textured surfaces.

Kind regards,

George

Ed's comment: