Re: [ARSCLIST] In a Single DVD Changer, Hundreds of Movies and MP3's

This came from a physicist for Lockheed Martin, whom I've know since high
school. Works in Boulder.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:29:31 -0700
From: "Dent, Roy" <roy.dent@xxxxxxxx>
To: 'Premise Checker' <checker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: In a Single DVD Changer, Hundreds of Movies and MP3's

Sounds plausible to me-- Say the highest frequency you want to reproduce is
20KHZ. The Nyquist criterion says you need to sample the waveform at at
least twice the highest frequency, or 40K
samples per second. Depending on the number of quantized levels you need to
accurately reproduce the waveform (e.g. 1024 distinct levels would require
10 bits=1.25 bytes), you come out at about 50K bytes/sec.) Higher resolution
would up the data rate beyond that. This is of course all speculation on my
part, since I don't know how they encode digital music. I believe that there
are redundancy reduction (data compression) algorithms in use that bring the
storage requirement back down.