[ARSCLIST] Dry tape squeal problem

Hi all; I'm involved in an audio restoration project.  In 1999 there
were some messages on this list about the problem, but I haven't
been able to find any definitive answers.

Note that "dry tape squeal" is not the same as sticky-shed.  Dry
tape squeal happens when the tape's original lubricant has dried up
due to age.

Is there any approved process to re-lubricate a tape?  I'm loathe
to go out and buy any random silicone libricant or whatever and
start spraying.

There was an article out of the library of congress

  http://www.unesco.org/webworld/ramp/html/r9704e/r9704e11.htm

which says to apply a "silicone solution or Krytox" but I'm not entirely
sure what this even means.  (Krytox is an entire product line from DuPont.)

Can anybody tell me what the approved solution is?

ADVthanxANCE,

        -ed falk