From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of andy kolovos
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 1:27 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: CD track marking

Folks,

I'm currently switching over from making listening copies of field
recordings on cassette to using CDs.  I wrote to the list a few months
ago about suggestions for placing index points/tracks at intervals on
the disk, and have decided to set them every five minutes.  The problem
I'm having now is the program I using for sound processing--Cool Edit
2000--makes it extremely difficult to introduce track marks into a long
WAV file for burning.  Essentially you have to lay down a series of cue
points, merge the cues, then save each cue range as an individual file.
Needless to say, when an interview is 120 minutes long, that's a lot of
marking and saving. According to the help-people at Syntrillium, there
is no way to script the process of laying cue points every 5 minutes and
then saving the individual tracks after you mark them, nor is there a
way to automate even the process of saving the merged cue ranges as
individual files.  Does anyone out there have a suggestion for another
(inexpensive) program I could use just to ready the audio for CD that
isn't such a pain in the neck?  Cool Edit 2000 does pretty much
everything else we need around here, and we're not in a position to make
a large financial investment in audio software right now. If there isn't
a program I can use just to ready the audio for CD, then what experience
have others had preping audio for CD as I outlined above with other
programs--Sound Forge, etc.?  I'm working on a PC, by the way.

Thanks for you time--

andy
Andy Kolovos
Archivst/Folklorist