Re: arsclist Cleaning advice

Curtis Peoples, Archivist
Texas Tech University
Southwest Collections Special Collections Library
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
curtis.peoples@xxxxxxx
Phone: 806-742-3749 ext 265
Fax: 806-742-0496
www.swco.ttu.edu
"Peoples, Curtis" wrote:

> I have three aluminum based duo disc recordings my grandmother gave me of
> her father playing music. I believe these are home recordings. They appear
> to be 78rpm. I also have several audiodisc 45 rpm recordings of with kids
> singing. I also believe these are home recordings. What is the best method
> to clean these discs so that I can transfer them?

At the risk of being crassly commercial, I am the North American
representative for the Keith Monks Record Cleaning Machines.  This is in use
by many organizations with major holdings of phonograph records, including
library of Congress who have three of the "Archivist" machines, and Canada's
National Library who are about to take delivery of their 2nd "Archivist".

For a small quantity, a manual solution is at hand with the Disc Doctors'
brushes and chemistry which work very well and substitute elbow grease
for the more time efficient machine functionality of the Monks cleaner.

Full details and pictures of the Monks "Archivist" machine are here:
http://www.audio-restoration.com/monks5.htm

List of links to other sources, including the Disc Doctor are here:-
http://www.audio-restoration.com/links.htm

I wrote the manual for the Keith Monks "Archivist" machine and it has a
variety of suggestions about cleaning and solutions.  If you want a .pdf
file of this manual, write me off-list and I'll be glad to send it to you
as an email attachment.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.
-