Re: arsclist ELP Laser Turntable; Full 3-D mapping of groove?

It related to wax cylinders rather than discs. They need help even more badly.

The technology to play back sound from a digital picture of a groove
introduces an extra layer of R&D complexity.

It seems far simpler to me that, after repairing the groove image in the computer, that a lacquer disc be cut from the groove image just as car models are sculpted from 3d images created in the computer.

The groove can be lateral and can play back on any decent record player.

Forgive me for replying a couple of weeks late, but I've just been catching up. Taking the groove image from the cylinder and simply placing it into the groove of a flat record will cause a number of problems. #1, the record won't be rotating at the same speed as the cylinder, and #2, the record's walls don't move at the same speed from start to finish because of the radial velocity being larger on the outer grooves and smaller on the inner grooves. So not only would you need to convert the image of the groove to the correct speed, you'd then need to also convert that speed to adjust for the continually changing radial velocity as it is played from the groove of a flat record. Perhaps reading the image into a wave form would be easier. Or perhaps using the image to cut a replacement cylinder that can be played back properly on a cylinder player would be a better idea.

----------------- Diamond Productions Specializing in analog tape preservation / restoration in the digital domain. Dave Bradley President

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.