Re: arsclist ELP Laser Turntable; Full 3-D mapping of groove?

I gave a brief paper, I think at the Audio Engineering Society c. 1989
suggesting the mapping idea.

It related to wax cylinders rather than discs.  They need help even more
badly.

The technology to play back sound from a digital picture of a groove
introduces an extra layer of R&D complexity.

It seems far simpler to me that, after repairing the groove image in the
computer, that a lacquer disc be cut from the groove image just as car
models are sculpted from 3d images created in the computer.

The groove can be lateral and can play back on any decent record player.

The technology to do this with sufficient accuracy will have arrived when
dental appliances are made this way.  I keep tabs on the state of this art
as part of my 6 month checkup.

Has the time for this inevitable advance finally arrived?

Steve Smolian