Re: arsclist Re: Thoughts...

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Graham Newton wrote (only in part to save your time)

-----

> Oh.... did I say that the relatively cheaper SADIE plug-ins were
> designed by CEDAR?
>
> > Of course, if someone has already built this tool (and not part of
> > some astronomically - priced software or hardware), let us know.
>
> The "astronomically - priced software or hardware" you refer to is a
> system like CEDAR for Windows which is based on DSP processing
> separate to the CPU in your computer and dedicated to its tasks of
> restoration processing, one DSP processor per left/right channel and
> the computer CPU does only the housekeeping.

----- it is worthwhile to look into the patents held by CEDAR. The
first was the patent that "fingerprinted" the thump that a simple cut
of the glitch would leave, which comes from the energy coupled
into the stylus cantilever, PU resilience and tonearm which is
poorly damped in many cases. This is not dependent on prior
knowledge of the PU/arm in question. Anybody making use of such
a process commercially without having bought it from CEDAR
would be infringing the patent. Now, if the signal were cleaner from
the outset, such as from the ELP Laser Turntable (which has no
inertial parts), then there would be no need for this sophistication.
So, it is really a question where you want to put your money: in
hardware for the ELP or in software for the CEDAR.

I tend to agree with Graham:

> What you seem to be looking for is a free lunch, and so far, I
haven't seen one anywhere.  Pay the piper and get the process.

----- because the intellectual effort by CEDAR is an investment that
has to pay itself back. I recommend the book "Digital Audio
Restoration" by Simon Godsill and Peter Rayner (Springer Verlag,
London 1998, ISBN 3-54076222-1), although I criticised its
unawereness of certain underlying phenomena in a paper at the
AES Budapest International Conference in 2001.

However, why not educate the listeners that original shellac noise
is their guarantee of authenticity, as is a cough with all its
reverberation in the sonic environment of a real-life situation. I am
terrified of the present processors made available for *live* sound
transmissions, some of which made by CEDAR, which are able to
fake a clean sound on the fly, because they remove the traces of
"unwanted" signals that might be the clue to a real event. I detest
an edited "reality". I have a forensic attitude.

Kind regards,

George
-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html