Re: arsclist Thoughts on a "dream" manual declicker/deglitcher for 78 restoration (Windows-based software)

Jon Noring wrote:

> I've previously posted on this topic to the Usenet newsgroup
> rec.audio.pro, but thought I'd repost it here a few months later, with
> some editing. I apologize for its length -- consider it as a sort of
> "white" paper.
>
> It is entirely possible that somebody has built the tool described
> here: a manual declicker using frequency-space for visual location
> of clicks/glitches, and a robust removal and reconstruction
> algorithm to rebuild the wave form at the point the glitch was
> removed.

I would agree with Graham that the CEDAR tools are not expensive if you
are restoring audio professionally. Consider how much your time costs
and then consider how much time is saved by using the right tool.

Having said that, there are probably hundreds of alternative options
that are not mentioned in your article. Algorithmix actually wrote the
Waves software you mentioned and you can find their technology at a
lower price in a number of other products and also under their own name.
Every general purpose wave editor and CD burning program seems to have
some kind of noise reduction built in.

However, for your purposes I would suggest that you look at Cool Edit
Pro. This has the spectral view which makes it easy to find clicks and
then a select, button click to bring up dialogue box and button click to
remove glitch process for each glitch.

2 or 3 years ago I tried the demo versions of just about all the glitch
removal software that I could find (except the really expensive
hardware/software) and I felt, like you, that most of it was cumbersome
to use. For most basic noise reduction purposes I found that Cool Edit
Pro worked as well as anything for the occasional transfer that I have
to do.

Cheers.

James.
-