arsclist Re: Thoughts...

Jon Noring wrote:

> It is entirely possible that somebody has built the tool described
> here: a manual declicker using frequency-space for visual location
> of clicks/glitches, and a robust removal and reconstruction
> algorithm to rebuild the wave form at the point the glitch was
> removed.

There are plug-in processes for the SADIE 96k workstation editing platform
that will do exactly what you want.  Manual "de-click" will already
accomplish what you are asking for, and and "de-thump" adds additional
capability to fix the low frequency "thump" left behind when the tone arm
wobbles after the stylus hits a BIG disturbance in the grooves.  The new
"Retouch" process takes it a step further almost reaching de-convolution and
the results are stunning to say the least.  Imagine removing a cough from
the pianissimo passage of a live audience symphonic performance... it does
exactly that and you would never know that anything, other than the
performance, had ever been there.

Oh.... did I say that the relatively cheaper SADIE plug-ins were designed
by CEDAR?

> Of course, if someone has already built this tool (and not part of some
> astronomically - priced software or hardware), let us know.

The "astronomically - priced software or hardware" you refer to is a system
like CEDAR for Windows which is based on DSP processing separate to the CPU
in your computer and dedicated to its tasks of restoration processing, one
DSP processor per left/right channel and the computer CPU does only
the housekeeping.

What you seem to be looking for is a free lunch, and so far, I haven't
seen one anywhere.  Pay the piper and get the process.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.
-