Re: arsclist Re: Thoughts...

Are we discussing both apples and oranges?

Background noise is very difficult to remove without altering the sound,
and it is a valid part of the recording. It is usually broadband, with a
duration of many seconds or minutes.

Noise pulses, or spikes, are usually artifacts of very brief duration.
They normally are not part of the original, and often can be removed
without noticeably affecting the sound. Good editing tools should be
able to interpolate through the spike for a millisecond or so without
introducing more than a few percent distortion for that brief period
only. Golden ears may be able to detect it, but everyone can detect the
noise spike.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.

-